Prime Minister Viktor Orbán will be meeting with President Vladimir Putin in early February, Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó announced on his Facebook page.
Szijjártó was just recently in Moscow himself, where he received the Order of Friendship from Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov for his achievements in the development of bilateral relations. Russia’s Order of Friendship is the highest award a foreign citizen can receive.
According to the Minister, 2021 was the most successful year ever in terms of Hungarian-Russian cooperation, and a good basis for “achieving more important results” in 2022.
Péter Szijjártó emphasized that preparations were already underway for the Orbán-Putin meeting, and listed the areas where he believes the relationship between Hungary and Russia will be further strengthened in 2022:
- we are entering the construction phase of the Paks Nuclear Power Plant expansion project
- the National Vaccine Factory is preparing to manufacture the Sputnik vaccine
- we are continuing our coopertation in the area of space technology
- we are increasing the role of the Záhony region for east-west rail traffic
- and we are beginning to export new Hungarian food products to the Russian market.